For her birthday dessert, my friend asked for something “not chocolate, maybe with berries”. And this is what I came up with:
Recipe: Strawberry Surprise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter large muffin pan and dust with flour, or insert paper liners*.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, then set aside:
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or half ap and half whole wheat flour)
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream together:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- Add, one at a time, to butter mixture:
- 2 large eggs
- Add flour mixture, mix until smooth.
- Add to mixture:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Stir until just smooth, being careful not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups about half way.
- Insert in batter:
- 1 medium hulled strawberry per cup (6 hulled strawberries total)
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Mix together and sprinkle over muffin tops:
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted hazelnuts (or preferred nut)
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 T. melted butter
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted draws out clean.
* Liners for the larger muffin tins are difficult to find, so I make my own using parchment paper. Details to come, when I’m not too muffined out to make more.