For the past few weeks, I’ve really been in the mood to bake, but I’ve had to restrain myself or else we would have had to toss a few dozen cupcakes before Passover started. Luckily, there are a ton of recipes for unleavened baked goods around the internet. We will definitely have our fill of sweets this week and I will have my fill of baking. Alas, a brisket currently occupies my oven, so I’ll have to wait a few hours more.
Martha Stewart is a surprisingly great source for Passover recipes. For the Matza House that she made last week with Joan Rivers, I think she should be deigned an honorary member of the tribe. Here are a few recipes that I’m eyeing for the week:
- Passover Apple Cake from Arthur Schwartz.
- Glazed Hazelnut Squares
- Coconut Macaroons which use sweetened condensed milk, unlike the French Almond Macaroon recipe from the NYTimes. I think I’ll experiment with a few different macaroon recipes and figure out what I like.
- Chocolate Torte with Passover Fudge Glaze with more hazelnuts, mmm….
Here are some of the non-Martha recipes that I’m considering:
- Damp Apple and Almond Cake by Nigella Lawson
- Passover Chocolate Cupcakes (!) from Cupcake Project with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting, although if I want to serve these at my seder (I do), I’m going to have to find a non-dairy topping.
Who says you can’t make cupcakes while escaping slavery?